2011 has been an amazing year for me. I've written notes on what I've taken on and what I plan to make better in the coming year.
- Launched True Originals for Bacardi, a social network for bar tenders
- Launched Kinect Share for Microsoft -- Microsoft's community site for Kinect enthusiasts. It integrates with SXP on Windows Azure
- Launched Salutation Nation for lululemon
- Won an ACE Award for outstanding work ethic, dedication, passion and hard work at Blast Radius
- Left Blast Radius in August 24th, 2011 to help build the RESAAS Core Platform (product) at RESAAS
- Joined up with RESAAS as a Front-End Engineer
- Joined up with Agile Business Cloud Solutions as a Chief Experience Officer (CXO).
- Launched first version of Azure-based real-time graphing on Agile Business Cloud
- Launched new homepage for RESAAS
- Launched the first of many Facebook apps
- Visited Redmond, Washington (Microsoft campus)
Open Source Initiatives
- Wrote Microcosm - Social Network Simulation tool, allows you to simulate hundreds of thousands of requests against an array of web services to help you demo a living, breathing social network. This project sprung up because demonstrations with the client were too static and user counts were too low to be "a social network" -- With this tool, we injected 160,000 users and had them randomly doing things to each other, commenting, following, unfollowing, etc.
- Wrote Blast Mojo v2 -- It has grown from its Dojo roots to become a structured layer on top of jQuery while leveraging its massive plugin community via dependency injection. It is simply structure with jQuery, much like Backbone in the sense that you get to use Controllers, Models, PubSub, Service Locator to help your teams write code in a more organized fashion and use common software engineering paradigms.
- Created a screencast that would be a rundown of Blast Mojo.
- Wrote Cid, image bundler service using JSONP+Base64+jQuery, it automatically base64 encodes all images on the page with a cid-src attribute and decreases HTTP requests.
- Wrote NodeJS Redis URL Shortener -- Allows you to easily shorten URLs using Redis as its storage
- Wrote NodeJS Windows Azure Table Storage URL Shortener -- Allows you to easily shorten URLs using Azure Table Storage as its storage.
- Did a talk on developing and deploying NodeJS applications on Windows Azure in December
- Read Inspired: how to build products that customers love
- Read Drive by Dan Pink
- Read World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: Servant Leadership by James Hunter
- Read Cracking the Code Interview -- This book is where I beefed up my knowledge of algorithms, a really great book for any aspiring programmer
- Read The Necessary Revolution: How Individuals And Organizations Are Working Together to Create a Sustainable World by Peter Senge
- Re-read Mythical Man Month -- An all-time favourite of mine. I try to do this every year and I highly recommend reading this book to any aspiring software engineer
- More test-driven development & behaviour-driven development
- Build more HTML5 prototypes
- Foster a community of innovation at RESAAS by growing our front-end team
- Do more talks at the Vancouver Azure group
- Evangelize Windows Azure more!
- Do more Scala with the Play Framework (Deploy on Windows Azure)
- Be more healthy, reduce junk food intake (includes pop, fast food, etc)
- Go to the gym at least 3 times a week
There we have it! I wish you all a great 2012!
Good luck and have fun,
Jaime Bueza is a software developer in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He has developed web applications for Nintendo, Starbucks, Electronic Arts, Ritchie Brothers, Kiwi Collections, Cox Communications and Microsoft. When he's not developing useful software that constantly evolves with business requirements, he's creating tutorial videos for aspiring front-end developers.
I had a great discussion with a friend about how important clear thinking and being able to communicate ideas to an audience needs to be si...
Markdown is awesome for quickly generating Readme's on Github. After looking at other projects using the strike tag, I've decided to...